The John 13 Series (III): AUTHORITY



This post talks about a conversation I frequently had with God last semester. The conversation was, "Lord, how do I know the situations that will demand me to use your authority?". Let us journey through my findings.

From the John 13 series (I&II), we understand that trust in Jesus and asking for His help can affect the storms or commotions around us. However, there is something we must also note✍️: Sometimes Jesus expects us to use the authority he has given us to prevail over storms around us.

So back to my question, how do we know these situations?

The first step to knowing these situations is by intimacy with the Holy Spirit 🕊️. A close relationship with the Holy Spirit will make you know when to exercise your Christ-given authority. Jesus said in John 14 that he will send His Holy Spirit who will teach us all things. No wonder the Apostle Paul knew when to use his authority offensively e.g. to make Elymas the sorcerer blind and when to endure difficult circumstances. 

However, let us also bear in mind that the Holy Spirit works hand in hand with the Word of God to give us an understanding of our authority. Our authority is spelt out plainly in the Bible. For example, God says in 2 Corinthians 10:5, "Casting Down Imaginations and Every High Thing That Exalts Itself Above the Knowledge of Christ". He said "we" should do the casting, not Him. There are many other verses that talk about our authority in Christ.

"The Believer's Authority" by Kenneth Hagin is also an immensely helpful book to open our eyes to our authority as stated in the scriptures. However, without the Holy Spirit, we would lack the sensitivity to detect when to use His authority even if we have read about its usage. 😶

Personal experience: I remember when a family member forgot a power bank at a friend's place. The friend told the family member that she couldn't find it. Then I heard about the situation. The family member was already thinking about getting a new one; however, I told her that it would be found. Based on the fact that the Bible says it's the devil's nature to steal and that whatsoever (everything pertaining to me) is born of God has overcome the world (1 John 5:4). So I joined the member in prayers, and we continuously declared God's word. After some time, the friend declared that she had found the power bank. Glory to God! 

When we discover what we have and what we are in Jesus, the Holy Spirit helps us exercise authority by believing and confessing it in faith. Remember in John 14:27, Jesus said, "...My peace, I give unto you...", that's why when a mighty storm arose in the sea🚢 and the disciples desperately beckoned to Jesus for help. He confidently declared, “Peace, Be Still”, and there was a great calm. Jesus knew He had peace, what do you know that you have? 

There are times we need to keep declaring😄 what we have in Jesus no matter the odds. A close relationship🥰 with the Holy Spirit will enable you to study the word and pray as you should. Hence, you would perceive when to use His authority. 

In this, we grow in faith and become more skillful in using the authority💪 He has given you and me. That's how far I have gone regards that conversation with my Father.

Prayer: Lord, help me to know you more and to know when to use the authority you have given me.

Please, if you have any questions, contributions, or Bible verses related to this post, I would love to hear from you in the comment section.

You can now subscribe to get updates on new posts (The button is at the end of the home page).

The Tri-partite Blog is a year old this month. Thanks for being with us this far.

I would love to have you next time on the Tri-partite Blog. Cheers to knowing God more🍻.



Comments

  1. Boluwatife Adepegba26 August 2023 at 21:44

    Insightful. God bless you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the year anniversary, may we continue to celebrate more anniversaries.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

TRUE FAITH

The John 13 Series (I): Love & Trust

BECOMING THE ONE